Monday 2 April 2012

Alec Lawless R.I.P.

Long-time readers of this blog may remember an interview with Alec Lawless of Essentially Me, who tailor-made scents for customers. You wanted something unique for you, you went to him. Here's the post.

As you'll gather from the title of this one I've had some terrible news. He designed some perfume for my wife as I suggested I'd probably arrange, last year; this is why she was on his customer list and that, in turn, is why today she and not I had an email saying he'd died in an accident whilst on holiday. I have no other details.

I met Alec once. He was a nice guy, a bit larger than life, you'd have sworn he was an ex-actor rather than an ex-teacher and oenologist. He was more than willing to talk to someone who was only vaguely starting up a blog with no real plan behind it, and when it came to meeting up with my wife and making a perfume for her he was professional, dedicated, pleasant and happy to take as many goes as it took until she was happy.

He wasn't a close friend or anything, but a smashing bloke to interview. I doubt that he was much older than his early fifties. My thoughts, inevitably, are with his family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. Alec designed a perfume for me last year. I had spent considerable time in hospital and was rather low at the time and the wonderful perfume lifted my spirits when I really needed it.

    I was saddened to hear today of his death and send my condolences to his family and friends.

    ReplyDelete

I've now opened comments up to 'everybody' - but I'll be moderating, purely to avoid spam and blatantly commercial responses. Comment away - I'll look forward to hearing what you have to say!