Wednesday 5 December 2012

Christmas presents 6: Chocolate

OK, time to consider the edible variety of Christmas present now (we'll look at some drinkables tomorrow, don't worry, I haven't forgotten). I've been alerted to the presence of a new (to me) ethical chocolate maker on the block; Organic Seed and Bean offers a whole load of flavours with prices starting at 99p. Here's the full list:


  • Pumpkin Seeds & Hemp Oil Extra Dark Chocolate
  • Coconut & Raspberry Extra Dark Chocolate
  • Extra Dark Chocolate
  • Cornish Sea Salt Extra Dark Chocolate
  • Lemon & Cardamom Fine Dark Chocolate
  • Lavender Extra Dark Chocolate
  • Chilli & Lime Extra Dark Chocolate
  • Mandarin & Ginger Extra Dark Chocolate
  • Mint Extra Dark Chocolate
  • Coffee Espresso Fine Dark Chocolate
  • Tangerine Rich Milk Chocolate
  • Rich Milk Chocolate (Breast Cancer Campaign)
  • Sicilian Hazelnut & Almond Milk Chocolate
  • Sicilian Hazelnut Dark Chocolate
  • Lemon & Poppy Seeds Creamy White Chocolat
They sent me two to taste, the Cornish Sea Salt and the Tangerine Rich Milk. 

OK, a declaration first: I just don't get this idea of putting loads of salt into chocolate. The stuff's going to be bad enough for your blood pressure already, let alone pumping it full of salt too - my wife likes salted caramel, I regard it as a good way of spoiling some nice caramel. And the sea salt crystals in the salted version here were pretty chunky - so definitely not for me, well made though it no doubt was.

I'm also not a chocolate orange fan, so was quite pleasantly surprised by the refreshing tangerine flavoured version. This seemed a good deal less artificial than certain well known brands of orangey chocolate, not overly sweet and fine for a stocking filler.

I'm severely tempted by the lemon and cardamom or mint extra. Overall this new brand seems to offer good value and anything ethically sourced has to be a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've now opened comments up to 'everybody' - but I'll be moderating, purely to avoid spam and blatantly commercial responses. Comment away - I'll look forward to hearing what you have to say!